Sunday, July 10, 2011

Allen Butler & Jackson Hole Criteriums

So yesterday July 9th I raced the Allen Butler memorial criterium in down town Idaho Falls Idaho. IT was a great race. Lots of spectators showed up they lined the streets to watch the race. I raced the cat 4 group which last 40 minutes. There were about 18-20 racers in my race. When the race started I took the lead expecting the pack to follow behind me. But after the first few laps I realized that I was solo and nobody was going to chase me down. After 3 laps of riding slow and easy the other racers realized that this was a race not a club ride and the pace picked up. Unfortunately with one lap two go the rider in front of me lost control and hit a curb forcing me to slow down. The riders behind me saw this and capitalized on the moment and managed to pass me. After regaining my momentum for the final sprint I ended up taking 4th place. Overall I was very happy with how I rode. Next time I need to spend less time on the front and more time conserving my energy.




Today July 10th I drove up to Jackson Hole Wyoming, to finish stage two of the crit series. I raced cat 4, I had a good game plan and stuck to it the whole race. With 10 minutes to go I got away in a break away and we managed to put 16 seconds on the chase group. With two laps to go we were feeling great and the end was in sight until. A racer in a t-shirt on a cx bike attempting to join our break away group got to close to me on a right hand turn and hit my saddle with his handle bars causing me to lose control and go down. I went down hard and slid for a good distance. Fortunately no damage was done to the bike, only to my body. After hitting the pavement I jumped up and got on my bike the chase group passed me and I sprinted as hard as I could to catch up with them. Even after my crash I managed to pass and beat the rider who took me out. It felt good haha. I finished the race in 10th place which is alright considering who the the race played out. 



 Overall I finished the series in 5th place for the cat 4 racers. I’m a little banged up but nothing serious it was an accident and unfortunately I was involved in it. No worries that bike racing. My form is good and I’m looking forward to racing on the 23rd in Utah. All I can say is that there is nothing cooler than being lead out by the race motorcycle signifying that you are the leader!  

Cheers Everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment